Hey Mom, What's for dinner?

March 10, 2008

It's All About the Dress

This is my version of tagging you. (I'm not quite with it on this blogging thing yet.)
So, Shauna, Becky, Kami, Rachel, Amanda, Lisa, Annie, and Heidi (plus anyone else who wanders onto this site) tell us about a favorite dress you've had in your life. Don't look at the pictures of me, (I almost took the heads off the pictures), just look at the dresses..This one was silver blue brocade.
My Mom made it for me. Living in a small Montana town up by the Canadian border, there wasn't much shopping. For example, if you bought a dress, you would definately run into it at the dance. So my mom sewed this and I thought it was the most beautiful dress ever. She wasn't a seamstress which made it even more special to me.
This was my favorite formal by miles. A friend designed it and made it and I LOVED it. It was made of orange crepey material with tiny white polka dots. So different. Don't you love the scalloped ruffles? I guess modesty wasn't such a big deal(?) I thought she would grow up to be a designer. She didn't, but I bet her kids benefited from her expertise.

Do you have a favorite dress or two you have loved? Next week, wedding dresses and stories. Get ready.

17 comments:

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Such the blogger you are, I love it!

I love that orange one, so cute with your tan.

Did you get my emails? I hope so.

The Kurtzeborn Family said...

I love the orange dress! And your hair looks great in that pic too! What a fun post! We got a new blog address if you ever want to take a peek. www.kurtzebornfam.blogspot.com

Holly K

amanda said...

I love the silver one. I especially love your hair in that one. It is so cute...and I'm being serious. The hair in the orange one...woah!!
I'd have to take a trip to my folks to find my favorite dress. Give me a few days.

Debbie said...

The hair thing. My friend helped me "frost" my hair and my mom was furious because graduation was a month away. She dragged me to the beautician (that's a 60's word!!) and made me get my hair "frosted" with brown dye. My hair was crispy after that and it still looked skunk-like!

Lisa Cannon said...

I really love the orange dress, it's my favorite! Give me a few days, I need to search through a million pictures! Yikes, I'm afraid!

The Dows - Party of Five said...

Both dresses are really cute (even for today's styles). By the way, how cute were you in high school! What a fun "tag" idea - I have to think about what my favorites were. Next week right?

rachel said...

Love this post...and the pics :) Two of mine were hand made a friend's mom too...that small town Montana thing :) All of mine were borrowed. Love your hair!!!

Anonymous said...

Mom I love hearing stories of your dresses you had growing up and seeing them. I think you were quite the fashionista, all of the pictures are so dang cute probably because you were so dang cute!

Becky, yep said...

I love that you saved some of your dresses and now let your granddaughters try them on!
I'm in, I'll post that in a bit!

The Dows - Party of Five said...

Russ just saw Aunt Debbie's pics. He wants to make sure it's a tree in the background and not part of the dress or worse her date.

Russ wants a date with the girl in the orange dress(foxy). He hears she makes good romagrot (is there such a thing as good romagrot?)

Debbie said...

Annie, I am grounding Russ from the Romagrat for that tree comment!

Lisa Cannon said...

What is Romagrat???

Debbie said...

Romagrat is a delicious creamy buttery pudding (That's because all that's in it is cream and butter.)that only a special few appreciate as a delectable Norwegian delicacy. You should try it, Lisa!

Heidi said...

I'm just lurking on here waiting to see what other Heidi you know and tagged.

Debbie said...

Heidi, It's you. So let's see that favorite dress!

Heidi said...

Oh GREAT.

LOL

Bree said...

You've got to be kidding me! Those dresses fit you like a GLOVE! What a hottie you are! Those would totally fit the bill today too- wither timeless, or at least BACK in style! So flattering and cute!

And, do mini vans count? Dan and I are seriously considering buying a mini van when we have another child. They are just so practical- even though I know my dad may disown me from shame.